Youghal Celebrates History, 2014

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/youghal-celebrates-history-2014-212x300.jpg

In September 2014, we celebrate the Society of Friends in Youghal, their origins, their involvement in the business life of the town, the social life of the town and we get to know the families of the Quakers and some …

Posted in Festivals | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The Town Walls

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/town-walls1-300x240.jpg

Dating from 1250, they are the second longest surviving stretch of Town Walls in Ireland – the other being at the opposite end of the country in Derry! The first written record dates from 1275 when King Edward I granted …

Posted in History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

The Benedictine Priory

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Priory-y4a-150x150.jpg

Founded in 1350, the Benedictine Priory was an affiliate of the Benedictine Priory of St. John of Waterford. The Benedictine order itself was established in Ireland in the 12th Century. Built with strength in mind, the Priory may have been …

Posted in History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

The Alms Houses

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Almshouses-300x199.jpg

Built in 1601 by Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork, the Alms houses were for six retired soldiers who were to receive a pension of £5 per annum. They are the oldest surviving almshouses in Ireland. Four doorways with …

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

The Red House

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/The_Red_House-300x215.jpg

Much of Youghal’s historic buildings revolve around defensive functions and protecting the medieval town from attack. So it’s nice to come across a stunning example of Dutch architecture, with little or nothing to do with the military! The Red House …

Posted in History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

The Clock Gate

http://youghal4all.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/clock-gate-featured.jpg

Since 1275, this site has had a tower on it, watching over the entrance and exit to the town and serving as a symbol of the importance of the town and the dominance of the English settlers. Originally, the Iron …

Posted in History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment