Built in 1601 by Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork, the Alms houses were for six retired soldiers who were to receive a pension of £5 per annum. They are the oldest surviving almshouses in Ireland. Four doorways with pointed arches front onto North Main Street and another two front onto Church Street.
The Alms Houses were renovated approx. 20 years ago for private homes.